Tuesday 15 December 2009

School of Saatchi- Weird yet understandable

After watching the TV show School of Saatchi I feel my perception of Art as a whole has changed. Before, I felt art was just paintings and sculptures but after watching School of Saatchi I feel that art has expanded to more than just paintings and sculptures. I believe it has become more imaginative and more bold and it makes you think when you look at it.
At first while watching the first episode of School of Saatchi I just didn't understand the fascination with Installation art. To me it seemed more like a over imaginative sculptor and I just didn't understand why someone would do it or how they came up with these crazy ideas. Also one of the ideas that one of the artists had done (if you can call her an artist) was just absolutely baffling. It was a whistle hanging from a towel rack and it just didn't get it. I mean how do you come up with something like that and worst still she went through to the next round. After watching the first episode of School of Saatchi I thought it was absolutely crazy that anybody could think that that was art of any kind.
However after watching the second episode of School of Saatchi I started to feel a bit different towards contemporary art. In the episode the 6 artists were separated into 3 groups and were told told to come up with a project that the people would enjoy. The one that enjoyed the most was Saad and Ben's ghost huts. I understand it more than the rest and enjoyed it more because it symbolized the past.
In the same episode they talked about an artist called Martin Creed and his work. I just don't understand how this guy has become so famous. He made money from just scrunching up a piece of A4 paper, where do you see art in that, I just don't know.
Overall i find contemporary art really odd but I do understand where some artists are coming from and I do like some of their ideas. It's weird yet it is understandable ins ome cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment